Home Blog

Space Force uniform starts fight over which sci-fi show it copied, but everyone is united in hating the pants

0

The internet is arguing whether the US Space Force’s new dress uniforms ripped off the costume design from the Battlestar Galactica reboot, a Star Trek movie, or Star Wars – but everyone seems to agree the pants don’t fit right.

The Guardian Service Dress prototype uniform was introduced on Tuesday, at the Air Force Association’s Air Space & Cyber conference taking place in Maryland. It features grey trousers and a dark navy coat with a tall collar. The six buttons running diagonally across the right side symbolize the Space Force as the sixth branch of the US military, according to its commander, General John ‘Jay’ Raymond.

While the Space Force’s official Twitter account featured a cropped promotional photo of the uniform, enterprising journalists soon posted photos from the AFA conference stage showing them in their full glory…or not.

The photos immediately sparked discussion among space nerds online. The cut reminded some of the uniforms worn by the crew of the Enterprise in ‘Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan’.

Others said it reminds them more of Galactic Empire’s naval uniforms from the Star Wars franchise – even if the Space Force insignia was more Star Trek-inspired.

However, the fan favorite seemed to be Battlestar Galactica – specifically, the much more commercially successful 2003 reboot of the 1970s TV show.

There was also some disappointment that the 1960s designs of the original Star Trek didn’t make the cut.

Speaking of cut, however, everyone seemed united in pointing their blaster and phasers squarely at the ill-fitting trousers. An editor at Screen Rant called the pants “shapeless, saggy disasters” and the uniforms “as sloppy as the idiot who created the branch in the first place” – an apparent reference to former US President Donald Trump.

One British art history professor called their cut “abominable” and ranted about the lack of proper tailoring so they would fit the models.

This was ironic, because one of the models was Lieutenant-Colonel Alison Gonzalez, the Space Force’s deputy chief of strategy. Meanwhile, General Raymond said the force “started with the female design and then created the male prototype,” rather than usual practice of doing it the other way around.

The US Space Force is the youngest branch of the US military, officially established in December 2019. It has been closely associated with Trump, and the Biden administration has mostly treated it as an afterthought.

Also on rt.com

RT
‘Get rid of that bull***t!’ Annoyed to see Trump legacy persist, liberals freak out at SPACE FORCE FLAG at Biden inauguration

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

Ohio sheriff: ‘I will not enforce vaccine mandates’

0

HAMILTON, Ohio (WJW)– An outspoken sheriff in southwest Ohio says he will not enforce COVID-19 vaccine mandates.

Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones, who previously declared he is not the “mask police,” said he is not the “vaccine police.” He said his office will not be checking vaccine cards at businesses.

“I have received the vaccine, I’m not opposed. With that being said, if you want to be vaccinated, that is your right as an American citizen. If you do not want to be vaccinated, I believe that is your right as an American citizen as well,” Jones said in a statement on Tuesday.

It is unclear if anyone asked the sheriff’s office to enforce vaccination policies.

Jones has previously made headlines for offering free concealed carry classes to teachers and nonprofits, and offering to help celebrities who threatened to leave the U.S. if former President Donald Trump was re-elected.

DeWine says he’s considering more COVID-19 vaccine incentives as hospitalizations rise

0

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WJW) — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said Tuesday he is currently considering more COVID-19 vaccine incentives as hospitalization rates continue to rise in the state.

“Yes, we’re thinking about it, I can’t tell you [everything] today, but we’re thinking about it,” DeWine said during a press conference. “We’re looking at these numbers and they simply have to go up. Everybody that gets vaccinated is not only doing something for themselves, but they’re doing something for everyone else. We’re thinking of other options.”

Earlier this year, the governor implemented the Vax-a-Million lottery incentive, which offered five sets of $1 million for adults and five sets of full ride Ohio college scholarships for teens, to encourage people to get vaccinated across the state.

“It worked exceedingly well for about 14 days, just a phenomenal increase and we got that and that’s important,” DeWine said today of the somewhat controversial incentive.

A study out of Boston University’s School of Medicine suggested that overall, the Vax-a-Million did not increase the state’s vaccination rate. But the governor’s office disputed this claim back in July.

“The first week after Vax-a-million, we saw a 44 percent increase in Ohioans 16 and older getting the vaccine. According to the Washington Post, no other state saw an increase along those lines. We saw a 17 percent increase in those 16 and older in the second week,” DeWine spokesperson Dan Tierney told FOX 8 over the summer.

The governor has been touting the potential for more state-offered vaccine incentives since the Vax-a-Million drawing ended. A $100 vaccine incentive was offered to Ohio employees who got the vaccine this summer, with at least 900 people reportedly taking advantage. But no other large prize incentives have come to fruition for the state as a whole.

Hopkins airport stages disaster scene to prepare in case of emergency

0

CLEVELAND (WJW) — If you saw what looked like a disaster scene at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport on Tuesday, you’re eyes were not deceiving you. But you don’t need to be alarmed.

CLE Hopkins Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting team staged a disaster exercise to get prepared in case an emergency does happen.

At around 10 a.m., staged “victims,” wearing makeup made to look like injuries, could be seen exiting an airplane and lying on the ground crying for help.

ARFF workers then simulated rescue efforts as a way to practice and develop a plan that includes working together with multi-agency disaster response teams.

The team said: “This exercise is based on a progression of the CLE’s Airport Emergency Plan and is intended to serve as a training exercise that will help us assess our operational execution and policies, including industry best practices, community resources and professional emergency response operations.”

Photo shows officer console toddler after parents overdose

0

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WJW)– A North Carolina police department is raising substance abuse awareness with a now-viral photo.

Fayetteville police arrested two parents who overdosed while their child was in the car on Friday.

An officer was seen consoling the young boy while they waited for his grandparent to arrive.

The department posted a picture of the two on its Facebook page. It’s been shared nearly 4,000 times.

The police department included the number of National Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration hotline at 1-800-662-HELP.

Rolling North Carolina billboard with anti-vaccine message promoting ‘funeral home’ turns heads

0

CHARLOTTE (WJZY) – On game day in Charlotte, North Carolina, thousands flood the streets to watch the Panthers face off against any given opponent.

On Sunday, something new caught the eye of tailgaters. A truck, circling the Queen City with a message: “Don’t Get Vaccinated.”

For a split second, those who read it might think it is an anti-vaccination campaign, until you see what is beneath the message: the name of a funeral home.

“It is very genius what they did,” said local resident Keith Gabriel. “You see ‘don’t get vaccinated’ and either you are intrigued, or you are disarmed by what you see. But either way, clickbait right? You are going to click and see what is on the other side of that website, so it was a great advertisement for whoever made that advertising,” Gabriel said.

The funeral home does not exist, but it does have a website. No number, address, or ‘about me’ are listed. One link in the center of the page brings you to the website of a Charlotte vaccination clinic run by StarMed.

When asked if StarMed had anything to do with the ad, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Arin Piramzadiam said, “From my understanding, the answer is currently no. I do not know of anyone in our team that has done this, but I am the last to know for some things.”

Piramzadiam said that while he is unaware of who is behind the ad, he backs its message.

“It definitely has a bit of dark humor associated with it, but whoever is doing it obviously has the same thought process as we do, where vaccines save lives,” Piramzadiam said.

Johnson & Johnson says booster dose of its COVID vaccine prompts strong response

0

LONDON (AP) — Johnson & Johnson released data showing that a booster dose to its one-shot coronavirus vaccine provides a strong immune response months after people receive a first dose.

J&J said in statement Tuesday that it ran two early studies in people previously given its vaccine and found that a second dose produced an increased antibody response in adults from age 18 to 55. The study’s results haven’t yet been peer-reviewed.

“A booster dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine further increases antibody responses among study participants who had previously received our vaccine,” said Dr. Mathai Mammen, global head of research and development at J&J.

The company is in talks with regulators including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the European Medicines Agency and others regarding using booster doses of its vaccine.

Man who filmed Rodney King video dies of COVID in Los Angeles

0
In this March 28, 1991, file photo, George Holliday, the man who videotaped the beating of Black motorist Rodney King by four Los Angeles Police Department officers, holds his camera after a news conference, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Craig Fujii, File)

George Holliday, the Los Angeles plumber who shot grainy video of four white police officers beating Black motorist Rodney King in 1991, has died of complications of COVID-19, a friend said Monday.

Holliday, 61, died Sunday at a Los Angeles hospital, where he had been for more than a month, according to Robert Wollenweber, a longtime friend and former coworker. Holliday was not vaccinated and was on a ventilator in recent days after contracting pneumonia, Wollenweber said.

Holliday was awakened by a traffic stop outside his San Fernando Valley home on the night of March 3, 1991. He went outside to film it with his new video camera, catching the Los Angeles officers punching, kicking and using a stun gun on King, even after he was on the ground.

A year later, Holliday’s out-of-focus footage — about 9 minutes worth — was a key piece of evidence at the four officers’ criminal trial for assault and excessive use of force.

When a jury acquitted all the officers on April 29, 1992, the city erupted in widespread violence. Hundreds of businesses were looted and destroyed over several days. Entire blocks of homes and stores went up in flames. More than 60 people died by shootings or other violence, mostly in South Los Angeles.

The uprising seemed to catch the rest of the nation by surprise, but longtime residents said tensions were building in South LA for years and the King verdict was just the tipping point.

On the third day of the riots, King went on TV to plead for calm, asking in a trembling voice, “Can we all get along?”

King sued Los Angeles over the beating and was awarded $3.8 million in 1994, but he told The Associated Press in 2012 that he lost most of that money to bad investments. King drowned in his backyard swimming pool on June 17, 2012, at age 47.

Holliday’s death was first reported by TMZ.com.

Holliday put the Sony camcorder he used to record the beating up for auction last July, with bidding starting at $225,000. It was unclear if it ever sold.

Holliday told the New York Times last year that he was still working as a plumber and never profited from the video.

He said he had purchased the camera about a month earlier and he grabbed it instinctively when he was awakened by noise outside his window.

“You know how it is when you have a new piece of technology,” he told the Times. “You film anything and everything.”

Holliday said in 2017 that he was working on a documentary about his role in the King case, but it was unclear if anything became of that project.

No more quarantine for kids? School districts try ‘Test and Stay’ COVID-19 testing model

0

MARIETTA, Ga.(NewsNation Now) — Schools across the country are searching for a less disruptive way to minimize risk beyond sending students home to quarantine as the wait continues for emergency use authorization for the COVID-19 vaccine for children.

“We have hundreds and hundreds of kids who are identified as close contacts who are subsequently missing school, so they shift on a moment’s notice from in-person to virtual learning,” said Grand Rivera, superintendent of Marietta City Schools in Georgia. “It’s creating hardships for families, it’s creating learning loss, it’s creating even more trauma for kids.”

Marietta City Schools is joining a growing list of districts trying out a new approach.

“We saw Massachusetts had a model that works around a modified quarantine,” Rivera said. “They call it ‘Test and Stay.’”

Test and Stay is essentially a modified quarantine that allows kids to stay in school as long as they’re tested regularly and adhere to precautions such as wearing masks and social distancing.

If a child is identified as a school-based close contact and asymptomatic, they’re given a rapid test daily before school for seven days instead of quarantining for a week to 10 days.

“If, in fact, they test negative, then they are cleared to come to school that day,” Rivera said.

If a test comes back positive, they have to quarantine.

Schools from California to Illinois have adopted the new COVID-19 testing model.

“These tests allow us to know who is positive and who is not on a daily basis, and so everyone can sit there with much better peace of mind,” said Dr. Michael Mina, an assistant professor of epidemiology and immunology at Harvard School of Public Health.

A study published by Lancet last week suggests the approach could be safe and effective.

“I think the numbers are compelling. You look at national research, 1 to 3% of school-based close contacts who are asymptomatic are testing positive. That means we have 97 to 99% of students who are being quarantined for seven, 10 or 14 days who, quite candidly, will never test positive,” Rivera said.

“I feel like it’s a safe alternative to keeping them out of school for quarantining, but also the best of both worlds, you know, getting them in school as much as possible, especially for the kids that don’t have COVID,” said Jessica Bergeron, a Marietta City School District parent.

While there is growing support, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not endorsed the approach and has said it needs more data before recommending it. However, the agency said it’s working closely with the districts trying it out – and is collecting more information.

Gabby Petito autopsy: Coroner expected to examine remains found in Wyoming

0

NORTH PORT, Fla. (NEXSTAR) — An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday after human remains were found during the search for Gabby Petito in Grand Teton National Park on Sunday.

The autopsy could result in the identification of the remains and probable cause of death.

The Teton County coroner in Wyoming says it usually takes two to three weeks to issue an autopsy report, according to WFLA. However, the report could take longer. By state law, the coroner could request more time.

Also on Tuesday, authorities renewed their search of a swampy preserve area near the home of the boyfriend wanted for questioning in the death of 22-year-old Gabby Petito, whose body was discovered at a Wyoming national park months after the pair set out on a cross-country road trip.

Police in North Port, Florida, said Tuesday morning that investigators have returned to the Carlton Reserve to look for Brian Laundrie, 23.

Investigators searched the 24,000-acre Florida nature preserve over the weekend without success. They focused on the area after Laundrie’s parents told police he may have gone there.

911 call released this week from a reported domestic situation in Utah between Petito and Laundrie, identified by police as a person of interest in the case, provided some insight to the time leading up to her disappearance.

A portion of the call is as follows:

  • Caller: “We’re driving by and I’d like to report a domestic dispute.”
  • Dispatch: “What were they doing?”
  • Caller: “Uh… we drove by and the gentleman was slapping the girl.”
  • Dispatch: “He was slapping her?”
  • Caller: “Yes, and then we stopped. They ran up and down the sidewalk. He proceeded to hit her, hopped in the car, and they drove off.”

The call, which happened on Aug. 12, conflicts with the story Petito and Laundrie told responding officers about the situation in Utah. In their account, Petito had said she was the one who was hitting Laundrie.

Ultimately, officers separated the pair for the night. No charges were filed.

On Monday, the FBI went to Laundrie’s parents’ home in North Port and removed several boxes and towed away a car that neighbors said Laundrie’s mother typically used.

Laundrie and Petito had been living with his parents at the North Port home before the road trip on which she disappeared.

The young couple had set out in July in a converted van to visit national parks in the West. Laundrie was alone when he returned in the van to his parents’ home Sept. 1, police said.

In Wyoming, the FBI announced Sunday that agents had discovered a body on the edge of Grand Teton National Park, which the couple had visited.

“Full forensic identification has not been completed to confirm 100% that we found Gabby, but her family has been notified,” FBI agent Charles Jones said.

In an interview broadcast Monday on TV’s “Dr. Phil” show, Joseph Petito said Laundrie and his daughter had dated for 2 1/2 years, and Laundrie was “always respectful.” During the interview, which was recorded before his daughter’s body was found, Petito said the couple had taken a previous road trip to California in her car and there were no problems.

Earlier this week, Joseph posted an image of a broken heart above a picture of his daughter to social media, with the message: “She touched the world.”

Joseph Petito said the family began worrying after several days without hearing from their daughter.

“We called Brian, we called the mom, we called the dad, we called the sister, we called every number that we could find,” Joseph Petito said. “No phone calls were picked up, no text messages were returned.”

Joseph Petito said he wants Laundrie to be held accountable for whatever part he played in his daughter’s disappearance, along with his family for protecting him.

“I hope they get what’s coming, and that includes his folks,” Joseph Petito said. “Because I’ll tell you, right now, they are just as complicit, in my book.”

The FBI said investigators are seeking information from anyone who may have seen the couple around Grand Teton.

Gabby Petito and Laundrie were childhood sweethearts who met while growing up on New York’s Long Island. His parents later moved to North Port, about 35 miles south of Sarasota.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Must Read

- Advertisement -